Summer Home Maintenance Tips
By Elli Davis, July 14, 2008
The warm summer months are upon us and most of us have finished spring cleaning and de-cluttering of our homes. However, did you know that there are steps that homeowners should take to protect their investment? The summer months is the best time to get those tasks completed.
Below is a list of items that should be tended too.
- Clean and check range hood filters over stoves on a monthly basis.
- If necessary, use a dehumidifier to keep the humidity in the basement at or below 60%.
- Check basement pipes for condensation or dripping.
- Refill floor drain in the basement if it doesn’t have enough water.
- Run water in fixtures that aren’t used on a regular basis (i.e. laundry tub, spare bathroom sink and tub or shower).
- Deep clean carpets and vacuum the bathroom fan grille.
- Clean the duct connected to the dryer by unplugging the dryer and disconnecting the duct connected to the dryer. Then take your vacuum and clean the duct.
- Check windows, door hinges and garage door openers for smooth operation and lubricate if necessary.
- Make sure water is not leaking into your house along the electrical conduits.
- Check all paint and caulking.
- Repair driveways and walkways as needed.
For more information on home maintenance or other free reports, contact Elli or leave a message on the blog.